The Domesday Book 1086 records two water mills.It is possible that the foundations or remains at this site are considerably earlier than other mills in the area. A water mill used to grind corn into flour must have been converted to a steam powered mill in the 19th century as Toton Steam Flour Mill with all machinery was advertised for sale by auction in 1880. Sometime after that it became a Bone Mill and then a Soap works before being demolished sometime at the beginning of the 20th century. It is not known exactly when the mill was demolished or  if any of the buildings’ stones (or bricks) still lie under the soil in Toton Manor Park, but some evidence remains of milling activity (click photo thumbnail for full size picture).


 


Mill site

Grit stone

Broken mill stone

Old mill race channel

The Mills

Another mill stone

Mill stone marking